Saturday, October 9, 2010

Self-Improvement - A challenge is just one way in Disguise

Some of the toughest times of my life were the times I grew the most. No way I want to go back and live those days again, but I would not trade who I am today because of this difficult time. I am a better person today because I grew up through these difficult times.

I've played a lot of tennis over the years. A few years ago I suffered a major injury to my right shoulder during a doubles match. I tore the shoulder capsule and dislocated my shoulder in my directionback.

I had surgery and I remember that after about my father that the operation may not have been successful. There was more damage than originally expected. I spent the next three weeks with my shoulder practically immobile. I then went through five months of physical therapy. The goal was to shoulder stability and return to me as much freedom as possible.

All during that time I was inside a dream. I wanted to play tennis. I wanted to play in the GTEIndy Open, was a semi-professional tournament. I had never played in a semi-professional tournament. But I believed I could do it. I thought I could overcome this injury and play better than I ever played.

After a few months of hard work, I got back on the court and finally in a tournament. The first tournaments were rough. My shoulder could handle only so much stress and then I would have to begin serving underhanded to protect my shoulder. Do you know how hard it is to win, isa match served underhand? But I stopped and paid my hard work and faith.

Eight months after the operation I was in a very special tennis court. There was a court Guidance GTE Indy Open. I was there! I've done it! I'm just the first round in singles, but I was there. The dream was done. The icing on the cake was the collaboration with my good friend Arnel Gallanosa for the doubles competition. We have the quarter-finals where we played the number one seeded team of the tournament.We lost that day but what an experience it. Not bad for a kid who was on an operating table, only eight months earlier.

The lessons I learned from faith and perseverance all the pain that I pay by all (not funny, but worthwhile) went. When hard times come hang tough and see what you can learn, because this is an opportunity in disguise.

No comments:

Post a Comment